Elder Care Resources
At THK Law, LLP we are constantly looking for elder care resources to help our clients. We understand that every client, family, and caregiving situation is unique. The Medicare, Medicaid, and Social Security systems are complex and no one benefit solution fits every client’s situation. We are here to counsel the families and caregivers of elderly relatives to make the right decisions for their situation. Below we provide some resources that will help the elderly and their families know what questions to ask when the time comes to meet with our estate planning and elder law attorneys.
Senior Care Resources for Families & Caregivers – Aging Information and Professional Resources
- Veteran Healthcare Resource – https://www.medicareplans.com/va-military-and-medicare-benefits-resource/
- Aging Connections – Aging Information and Professional Resources at ACOM of Michiana
- Indiana Laws of Aging – https://inbf.org/Portals/0/Uploads/33/Files/8601aging_book_complete.pdf (62-page PDF)
- Five Wishes is changing the way we talk about advance care planning. – https://fivewishes.org/ (website)
- Ten sign of Alzheimers – https://www.alz.org/alzheimers-dementia/10_signs (website)
- Elder Abuse – what you can do if you suspect an elderly person is being financially or physically abused? Elder abuse is often more than physical abuse; it can involve mental and often financial abuse as well.
- http://www.elder-abuseca.com/stateResources/indiana.html/ (website)
- https://www.americanbar.org/groups/law_aging/ (website)
7. Powers of Attorney – What does it mean to give someone power of attorney over your health care or finances? This does not mean you are giving up control of your finances or health care.
- https://www.americanbar.org/groups/law_aging/resources/health_care_decision_making/power_atty_guide_and_form_2011/ (website)
- https://www.consumerfinance.gov/about-us/newsroom/cfpb-releases-guides-for-managing-someone-elses-money/ (website)
- https://files.consumerfinance.gov/f/201306_cfpb_msoa-participant-guide.pdf (55-page PDF)
8. Caregiver support – how can family caregivers find help and avoid burnout?
Caregivers need to be aware of their own stress and to take care of themselves so they can better care for their loved ones.
- https://www.aarp.org/caregiving/life-balance/info-2018/stress-management-tips.html?migration=rdrct (website)
9. Choosing a nursing home – how can you find the nursing home that is right for your loved one?
Look into nursing homes before they are needed. Make multiple visits, on different days, without an appointment.
Consider the accessibility of location to family, loved ones and caregivers.
10. End-of-life decision-making – how can you make having the difficult conversation about your end-of-lifehttps://www.thklaw.com/elder-law/ wishes easier?
- Have all documents in place
- Use a conversation tool
- The more you talk about it, the easier it gets
- There are games available to aid in the process of discussing these decisions.
- http://www.gowish.org/article.php/how_to_play (website)
- https://www.americanbar.org/groups/law_aging/resources/health_care_decision_making/ (website)
11. Avoiding Scams – what are the signs that your family member has fallen victim to a scam and what can you do to prevent future scams?
- Be aware of who they are talking to about personal/financial information.
- Review finances/checkbook with them regularly.
- Report any fraudulent activity to local law enforcement.
- https://www.stopfraud.gov/sf/report-financial-fraud (website)
- https://www.fdic.gov/consumers/consumer/moneysmart/olderadult.html (website)
12. Hospice – what is hospice care? Hospice supports the patient and not the disease offering a more holistic approach. They offer comfort and dignity, and not only in end of life situations.
- https://www.nhpco.org/ (website)
13. End of life planning – why is planning for your disability and end of life important? Knowing that you are prepared is a great comfort. It also takes a lot of stress off of family members and loved ones; so having the conversations with them and letting them know your wishes gives everyone a level of comfort.
14. Find an Elder Law Attorney
- https://www.thklaw.com/elder-law/ (local website)
- https://nelf.org/ (national website)