James (Jay) M. Lewis, Partner
James M. (Jay) Lewis joined Tuesley Hall Konopa in November 2009, practicing in the areas of business law, real estate, labor and employment law, and commercial litigation.
Prior to joining THK, Jay served for four years as Vice President and General Counsel of a national manufacturing and service company based in South Bend. While in-house, Jay managed all legal issues including contracts, litigation, employment, labor relations, employee training and corporate secretary duties. Previously, Jay practiced with the South Bend office of a national law firm for 13 years, first as an associate and then as a partner.
Jay earned his B.A. from the University of Notre Dame in 1986, his M.A. (Philosophy) from Northwestern University in 1988, and his J.D. from Notre Dame Law School in 1991. He served as an intern with the U.S. Department of Justice’s Commercial Litigation branch, then worked as a law clerk for the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit before starting private practice in South Bend.
Jay has achieved an AV rating from Martindale-Hubbell, the highest possible rating granted for competency and ethics in law, a testament to the fact that a lawyer’s peers rank him or her at the highest level of professional excellence.
State Bar of Michigan, 2012
Indiana State Bar Association, 1991
United States District Courts in Indiana
United States Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit
Supreme Court of the United States
St. Joseph County Bar Association
Cass County Michigan Bar Association
- Civil litigation
- Employment law
- Business transactions
- Real estate
- Jay served as President of the St. Joseph County Bar Association in 2005-06. He continues to serve the Bar Association as a member of the Pro Bono Committee.
- Jay served as Chair of the Board of Directors of Logan Community Resources in 2006-08. He continues with Logan as a member of the Protective Services Board.
- Jay served on the Indiana State Bar Association’s Board of Governors 2012-14, representing the third district
- Jay served on the Board of Directors of the Business Development Corporation, a non-profit engaged in small business lending.
- Jay serves on the Board of Directors of South Bend Youth Hockey, Inc., a non-profit that oversees youth hockey facilities and programs.
- Jay serves on the Board of Directors of River City Challenged Athletes, Inc., a non-profit that manages wheelchair basketball and sled hockey programs for disabled athletes. See sledrovers.org