James M. Lewis, Partner
Prior to joining THK, Jay served for four years as Vice President and General Counsel of a national manufacturing and service company based in South Bend. While in-house, Jay managed all legal issues including contracts, litigation, employment, labor relations, employee training and corporate secretary duties. Previously, Jay practiced with the South Bend office of a national law firm for 13 years, first as an associate and then as a partner.
Jay earned his B.A. from the University of Notre Dame in 1986, his M.A. (Philosophy) from Northwestern University in 1988, and his J.D. from Notre Dame Law School in 1991. He served as an intern with the U.S. Department of Justice’s Commercial Litigation branch, then worked as a law clerk for the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit before starting private practice in South Bend.
Jay has achieved an AV rating from Martindale-Hubbell, the highest possible rating granted for competency and ethics in law, a testament to the fact that a lawyer’s peers rank him or her at the highest level of professional excellence.
- State Bar of Michigan, 2012
- Indiana State Bar Association, 1991
- United States District Courts in Indiana
- United States Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit
- Supreme Court of the United States
- St. Joseph County Bar Association
- Cass County Michigan Bar Association
- Notre Dame Law School, J.D., 1991
- Northwestern University, M.A., 1988
- University of Notre Dame, B.A., 1986
- Jay served as President of the St. Joseph County Bar Association in 2005-06. He continues to serve the Bar Association as a member of the Pro Bono Committee.
- Jay served as Former Chair of the Board of Directors of Logan Community Resources in 2006-08.
- Jay served on the Indiana State Bar Association’s Board of Governors 2012-14, representing the third district.
- South Bend Youth Hockey, Inc., Board of Directors, a non-profit that oversees youth hockey facilities and programs.
- River City Challenged Athletes, Inc., Board of Directors, a non-profit that manages wheelchair basketball and sled hockey programs for disabled athletes. See sledrovers.org
- 466 Works Community Development Corporation, Board of Directors
Judicial Nominating Committee Chair 2021