John Ford, Of Counsel
- Asset Protection Planning
- Business Succession Planning
- Buy-Sell Agreements
- Commercial and Residential Leases
- Commercial Transactions
- Construction Law
- Employment Law
- Entity Formation
- Government Compliance
- Homeowners Associations
- Labor Law
- Land Use and Zoning
- Manufacturing and Construction
- Mergers and Acquisitions
- Non-compete and Non-disclosure Agreements
- Real Estate Development
- Residential Transactions
- Wills and Trusts
John represents many area businesses, including manufacturers, developers, homebuilders, commercial landlords and contractors, as well as individuals. He works with corporate clients on the formation, growth, and diversification of their businesses, including compliance programs, succession planning and family transition, purchase or sale of a business, and a wide range of other business issues.
He has considerable experience in matters relating to corporate governance, buy-sells, employment policies and discrimination, non-competes, land use and zoning, mechanic’s liens, due diligence and the resolution of business disputes. John has also been involved with the creation of several local subdivisions and condominiums and represents a number of homeowners associations. He consults with individual clients on their wills, trusts, and estates, as well as the purchase, sale, or other issues concerning their homes.
John does not claim to be a “specialist” or “expert” in any area of the law. Instead, he’s a problem-solver with nearly 50 years of experience.
- Indiana State Bar Association
- St. Joseph County (IN) Bar Association
- Indiana University, J.D., cum laude, 1976
- Ohio Wesleyan University, B.A., English, magna cum laude, 1973
Over the years, John has made time to give back to his community and causes he’s passionate about:
- Michiana Estate Planning Council (member since 1990)
- United Way of St. Joseph County
- Winding Brook Park Homeowners Association, past president
- Morris Park Country Club, past president
- Michiana YMCA Masters Swimming
- Delta Tau Delta Fraternity House Corporation at Ohio Wesleyan University
John is proud to be a fourth generation St. Joseph County attorney. He was born in South Bend and went to John Adams High School (Class of ’69, summa cum laude, state swimming medalist). An English major, fraternity president and varsity swimmer at Ohio Wesleyan University, John continued straight on to IU Law School and then joined a local law firm where his father, G. Burt Ford, was a partner. He remained with the same firm for 46 years and had the pleasure of working alongside his father for 30 of those years.
John has two adult children and two grandsons. His wife, Mary Funkhouser – a high school classmate, owns a home in The Villages, Florida, where she spends the winters and John joins her there a week or so a month. They enjoy traveling and playing golf together. Most of all, John thoroughly enjoys living and practicing law in the community he’s called home his whole life.