Michael was born and raised in Cambridge City, Indiana, a small town located about 50 miles east of Indianapolis. He and his wife, Jenni, have lived in the Michiana area since Michael’s law school days at Notre Dame. They have four sons and are part of a proudly international family: two of their children were born in South Korea and one was born in China.
Michael and his family enjoy traveling. From China to Chicago to local campgrounds, you will often find the Hays family in search of new adventures.
Michael and his family are ambitious gardeners, striving each year to turn more of their yard into herb and vegetable gardens and to outsmart the frost that comes early and stays late in Northern Indiana. He enjoys reading non-legal literature when he can find the time, and he usually musters enough motivation to run a few miles each week.
Michael J. Hays, Partner
Michael Hays joined Tuesley Hall Konopa in January 2012 as a seasoned litigator. He brings varied experience to the firm, having worked both in-house with a public company and for a large national law firm.
Michael prides himself on his practical approach to solving clients’ legal problems. His experience includes:
- bench and jury trials in a variety of commercial, employment, and product liability disputes;
- participation in defense of a multi-district litigation proceeding involving thousands of plaintiffs and more than sixty defendants in four states;
- counseling in several SBA loan closings and numerous business transactions;
- drafting and reviewing hundreds of employment policies;
- advising both employers and executive employees in the drafting and litigation of non-compete and severance agreements.
- Indiana State Bar Association
- State Bar of Michigan
- United States District Courts in Indiana and Michigan
- United States Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit
- St. Joseph County Bar Association
- Cass County Michigan Bar Association
- Robert A. Grant Inn of Court, President, 2019 – 2020
- Michiana Forty Under 40 Class 2013
- Adjunct Assistant Professor of Law, University of Notre Dame
- Pro bono service through Volunteer Lawyers Network and Neighborhood Christian Legal Clinic
- Variety of church leadership and committee positions
- Founder and board member of a non-profit homeschool support group
- Board member Child and Parent Services of Elkhart County (CAPS) (currently Vice-Chairman)
- Past board or volunteer service for Elkhart County 4-H, Faith Mission of Elkhart, Upward Sports, and various other local organizations.
- Michiana Human Resources Association, Member
- Civil litigation
- Employment law
- Business counsel
- Contract review