Robert J. Konopa, Partner
Civil litigation representing plaintiffs and defendants in many legal areas including,
- Personal injuries
- Insurance litigation
- Products liability
- Medical and legal malpractice
- Commercial disputes
- Contract claims
Practice areas include civil litigation representing plaintiffs and defendants in many legal areas including personal injuries, insurance litigation, product liability, railroads, trucking, medical and legal malpractice, commercial disputes, contract claims, mediation, and arbitration.
Robert J. Konopa was admitted to the Indiana Bar in 1967 following his graduation from The University of Notre Dame Law School. He has since practiced in both state and federal courts, trying cases for both plaintiffs and defendants. Bob’s extensive trial experience, combined with mediation skills acquired from formal training, experience, and a negotiator’s instincts, are particularly useful in complex cases, whether they involve personal injury, commercial, or other civil litigation subject matters.
Bob is one of a distinguished group of attorneys who has been selected by his peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America for over thirty years. His areas of recognition have been in personal injury, commercial litigation, mediation, personal injury litigation defendants, product liability litigation defendant, Bet-the-Company Litigation, and arbitration. He is also a member of the Defense Research Institute, Inc. and Defense Trial Counsel of Indiana (Member, Board of Directors, 1996-98, Diplomate Award 2000), American Association for Justice and the Indiana Trial Lawyers Association.
He was an Associate Lecturer at Indiana University, South Bend from 1965-1977. He is a member of the Indiana State Bar Association and a recipient of the 2009 Litigation Section Civility Award.
In 1986, Bob achieved an AV rating from Martindale-Hubbell, the highest possible rating granted for competency and ethics in law, a testament to the fact that a lawyer’s peers rank him or her at the highest level of professional excellence.
- Martindale Hubbell Law Directory (AV rating, 1986 – present )
- Best Lawyers in America (1987 – present)
Memberships and Fellowships
- St. Joseph County Bar Association (Member, Board of Governors, 1975 – 1979)
- Indiana State Bar Association (Member, Board of Managers, 1988 – 1990, Litigation and Appellate Sections; 2009 Civility Award
- Defense Research Institute; Defense Trial Counsel of Indiana (Member, Board of Directors, 1996-1998; Diplomat, 2000)
- Robert A. Grant Inn of Court (Emeritus; President, 1997 – 1999)
- Fellow, Indiana Bar Foundation (2000 – present)
- Fellow, Litigation Counsel of America (2009)
- Fellow, American College of Trial Lawyers (1990 – present)
- Indiana State Courts
- U.S. District Courts, Northern & Southern Districts of Indiana; Western District of Michigan
- United States Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit
- Notre Dame Law School, LLB, 1967
- University of Notre Dame, M.A., English, 1964
- University of Notre Dame, A.B., English, 1963
- Slip, Trip, Fall & Sue, ICLEF, 2015
- Professionalism Program, ICLEF, May 2010
- Cross-examination of the Independent Medical Examiner, Indiana Trial Lawyers Association, 2007
- Mediation Mistakes, Indiana Trial Lawyers Association, 2005
- Spoliation of Evidence, National Society of Professional Insurance Investigators, 2005
- Civil Mediation Training, ICLEF, 2004
- Wrongful Death Litigation, ICLEF, 2004
- Indiana Judges on Indiana Evidence; The Tough Issues Argued, ICLEF, 2000
- Bad Faith in Insurance Litigation, Auto-Owners Ins. Co., 2000
- Wrongful Death, ICLEF, 1999
- Powerful Cross-examination, Cross-examination of the Medical Expert, ICLEF, 1995
- Governmental Tort Liability, Auto-Owners Ins. Co., Branch Claims Office, 1993
- Slip, Trip, Fall and Sue, Nuts and Bolts of a Slip and Fall Case – Defense, ICLEF, 1990
Railroads. 3 Indiana Practitioner Series, Personal Injury and Torts, Lawyers Cooperative Publishing, 1996
Furnished upon request.